Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Growing into contemplation

Painting of Our Lady of Guadalupe in Taillores (on Lake Annecy)
Tomorrow is the feast of Our Lady of Guadalupe, I'm thinking of Mary in America, and especially of Mexico. Am also thinking about Fr Roger Luna, whose anniversary of death is tomorrow.

Fr Roger taught me English in 11th and 12th grade at St Francis in Watsonville, and I joined the choir that he directed during those years. That was a lot of fun for me at that age. Fr Roger was also my director when I was discerning whether to join the Salesians or not, and guided me through the prenovitiate with 10 of my companions. Only 8 of us entered the Salesian novitiate; only 5 of us made our vows a year later… but that is another story.

Roger B. Luna, SDB, in 1966, Director of St Francis, Watsonville

Fr Roger was easy to talk to, and I took advantage of this during high school, and later as a young Salesian. When I first became came to De Sales Hall as province vocation director in 1983, and later as director of the prenovitiate community until 1990, I went regularly to Fr Roger for spiritual direction. As always he received me and accompanied me with joy and wisdom that I will never forget.

Once Fr Roger told me that as we grow older we all tend to become contemplative. Well, it sounded good, but I know some pretty rowdy old people!! I suspect, however, that Fr Roger was quite contemplative in his youth, but carried to extroversion by the needs of the young and poor families that he served as the first Mexican-American Salesian in the USA. He could organize a wonderful Posadas Christmas Novena for the immigrants, but he could also sit quietly with a score written by Mozart on his lap, imagining the sounds and voices, and bringing those to prayer. Yes, he was a contemplative, even though he might have been a hyper-active one!

A panorama to contemplate, at Hermitage St Germaine, above Lake Annecy

No comments: