Friday, June 12, 2009

Journey to India - Kolkata

Arrived this morning in Calcutta, after a long journey that took me from San Francisco (SFO) to Washington (IAD)… to Dubai (DBX) on United Airlines… to Calcutta (CCU) on Air Emirates. Okay, officially it is Kolkata, but so far everyone who is from here is saying "Calcutta" to me. Interesting.

On my arrival at the international airport in Kolkata, Thomas Kayyalackel met me. Thomas did this past year in Berkeley for the ISS at Don Bosco Hall. His mother's failing health necessitated his early departure during Holy Week. It was a loss for us at Don Bosco Hall, but did a world of good to his mother, whose health immediately recovered.

Thomas has a driver, and he picked me up in a landrover right from the arrivals lane at Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose International Airport (CCU). It was about 10.00 when we arrived at the Salesian Provincial Headquarters in town, and after a quick shower and change of clothes, I was able to meet members of the provincial staff there in this very busy center. I joined the community for lunch and in the afternoon Thomas took me into the city, directly to the house founded by Blessed Mother Teresa of Calcutta.

Mother Teresa's founding center is in a very busy area of the city. One still sees street people and children begging… although the heavy traffic makes the area so noisy that it is very difficult to hear what people are saying to you. When we stepped out of the landrover, it was immediately obvious that here was a European and several children approached me asking for alms. I had no rupies with me. In fact, I had not even brought my wallet. Thomas took care of giving them something as he led me into a side alley and into the entrance of Mother Teresa's house.

We visited the care center, the children's hostel, and of course the rooms that were inhabited by the saint. A few of the sisters recognized Thomas, and invited us to stay for the Eucharist at 5.00 in the afternoon. We did stay and were able to concelebrate at the mass celebrated with over 100 people at Mother Teresa's tomb.

Of course I had brought my camera with me but was unable to take any photos of Mother Teresa's house. To my horror, I discovered that I packed the wrong batteries for my camera. I had brought akaline batteries. They did not work with the camera. Whoa!

Thankfully, Thomas had a contact who has contacts, and we went into a place into a popular shopping area filled with booths and stalls. What I needed were lithium batteries, and after conveying the concept in Bengali, we bought rechargeable lithium batteries and a recharger. Now we're in business.

Buying lithium batteries and a recharger on a Calcutta sidestreet… Frs Thomas and Augustine.
Aside from almost getting hit by a speeding bus, the trip around the streets of Kolkata was enlightening in itself.

No comments: