On the walk home I decided to stop for a haircut and then to buy some Easter cards. As soon as I find the top of my desk, I will write them out.
Five days after the earthquake in L'Aquila, the rescue operations are at an end, and the bodies all recovered. Today, Good Friday, was the day of the funeral. By radio, podcasts and internet I am doing all that I can to continue to follow the news. It shocked me that the only thing that I was able to find on the New York Times was an article about damaged art works. 289 people have died, and the New York Times is concerned about the art works.This reminds me of the words of Luigi Barzini in reaction to the may British who used to holiday in Italy after World War II. Barzini said that these upper-class visitors were never interested in the people, but only in the monuments. "The only Italians that they care about are the dead ones," observed Barzini, meaning Cicero, Caesar and Virgil. Well, it looks to me like the New York Times is not even interested in the dead Italians.
But today the funeral was celebrated in L'Aquila - a state funeral with President Napolitano, Prime Minister Berlusconi, the armed forces, and presided by the Secretary of State of the Vatican, Cardinal Tarcisio Bertone. Numerous bishops concelebrated with our Salesian cardinal in what has to be one of the saddest Good Fridays. I have followed these events as best I could, still struck by the terror and tragedy of this disaster.REUTERS PHOTO 10 April 2009/Giampiero Sposito (ITALY DISASTER)
So I end this Good Friday afternoon, praying for the victims in L'Aquila, as well as the victims of human wrath in our cities and in the wars that continue to rage… and pray too for those who are trying to rebuild the lives of so many hurting people, again in our cities but especially at L'Aquila and all the surrounding towns.

No comments:
Post a Comment