Ever since I returned from Italy last January, Gael Sullivan and Michael Sweeney have been speaking to me of their hopes to launch a youth ministry MA program at DSPT. Tonight there was a conversation with Michael, the staff of Don Bosco Hall, and members of both the eastern and western provincial councils who are here for a couple days of meetings. These included John Itzaina, Tom Prendiville, Michael Touchstone, Tom Dunne from the councils; John Roche, Gael Sullivan, Michael Sweeney and myself.
The enthusiasm is high. It is a matter of setting this up is the issue. Do we have the personnel required? Can we put together something to start with and then grow a team of instructors for this? Can we call on Salesian expertise from both USA provinces and from other areas of the Salesian world?
Gael asked me to participate in the meeting. I was very tired and really did not know if I could survive a meeting after the evening meal, but as the meeting went forward, I was a bit refreshed by the possibilities. The group promised to work together on this in future weeks.
For myself, I promised my support, although I feel that my expertise lies in other areas by now. Still, Michael Sweeney sees me as an important link, since I am the Salesian on the DSPT faculty, and since I have links to the UPS in Rome where a Department of Youth Ministry has been a reality since 1982.
More on this in future.
This blog began when in Rome in September 2005 for a research sabbatical. At the end of that academic year I returned to Berkeley but not for long. I now commute between Italy and California, teaching theology on two faculties. Contrary to popular belief, Rome is not so institutional, and Berkeley is not so radical. I blog impressions and reflections as I alternate living on the northside of the Eternal City and the northside of Cal … and perhaps on the outskirts of history.
No comments:
Post a Comment